Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Christians & Atheists Debate Existence of God on Tonight's 'Nightline'

Think carefully--this is so important. Please don't look at this as simply a debate to see who's going to win a theological discussion here. Look at this as an opportunity to help you make a personal decision about what you will believe about God."

--Actor Kirk Cameron, on the upcoming "Face Off" debate on ABC's Nightline. Cameron and evangelist Ray Comfort debate the existence of God with two atheist/agnostic members of the Rational Response Squad tonight on Nightline. Portions of the debate are currently available on ABC's website; portions will air on the show tonight. The entire debate is supposed to be available online tomorrow. There are already more than 1,200 comments on the website, and the piece hasn't aired yet.

Holly sez:
I've watched the clips from the debate and found it to be exhausting. While I enjoy debates, I usually don't find much that's personally productive. I'm sure there are people who have the gift of debate, who are able to use it as a way to convince others of their faith. I'm not one of those people. I like discussions, where two folks are trying to get to the bottom of their thoughts and feelings. For me, debate is about pushing power around. For me, discussion is about making myself vulnerable. I do much better at the latter!

Still, I gotta admire Cameron and Comfort for going on mainstream TV to share their faith. It will cause a lot of people to think deeply, if only for a few minutes. If you watch the debate, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: